Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Updating a Sofa

So we all know the easy "inside the box" ways to update a piece of seating furniture- throw some new accent pillows on it, a throw, or the ultimate...have it recovered. And since I just finished having a loveseat recovered for almost the same amount as the piece actually cost me, I will NOT be doing that again anytime soon. Don't get me wrong- I would reupholster almost everything in my house if I had the skill, but I'm done paying someone else to do it. Anyway, I have a point, I really do...You see, I'm not a big fan of our sofa. It was purchased for me by my parents when I got my first apartment after college and it served it's purpose well, but now...not so much my cup of tea. It's small, not the most comfortable thing in the world, it's microfiber, and I HATE the feet. I know...it's a wierd thing to hate, but I truly do. The more you read this blog, the more you'll find that I love just about anything from Restoration Hardware, especially the English Roll Arm Upholstery Collection and I am OBSESSED with this sofa. But since I was just complaing about paying to reupholster a loveseat, you can rightfully assume I won't be purchasing it anytime soon.

One of the things I love most about the RH sofa is the feet and I've decided that is my GENIUS solution to updating my sofa with a new look. The feet on mine currently look like this...
They are very casual, which is really ok for the vibe of my living room, but they are short and the sofa sits lower to the ground than any other piece in the room. And I just plain don't like them. So I'm going to replace them (they just screw right off...it's that easy) with these:
Not necessarily formal, but a little dressier than what I currently have. They'll lift the sofa higher from the floor and add a little architectural interest. They come unfinished to I can stain them to match my coffee table perfectly. I'm very excited about this project as it doesn't seem as though it will be too difficult but I am confident it will make a huge difference. The feet are priced well and won't be too expensive of a project either. And every time I lust for that RH sofa, I can look at my new feet and be content....for the time being.
I love The Nester's mantra that "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." I'm a total believer in that. These may not be the feet my sofa came with, but with a little effort, they will be beautiful in our home. I will update you once the feet are here and I've finished the project with a step by step "how I did it" in case you want to take on a similar project in your home.
~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment