Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Coffee Table Update

If you read my last post, you know I've been teetering on the verge of upholstering a great-shaped coffee table I snaged for a deal. It needed a little TLC and I found the perfect fabric, but once the foam and batting were placed on top, I became concerned about the height of the table. So in an effort to stall, I decided to sand down and stain the entire things and use it as just a table. My husband helped me sand it down (that's definitely my least favorite part) and I stained it with left over stain we used on our french doors a while back, so the project literally cost me nothing! Here's the finised product....

And, of course, the pretty details on the sides and legs...
Aside from some slight imperfections in the stain (most likely due to poor lighting in the basement where we worked on it), I'm happy with the outcome. The color is great...it's a bit darker than the camera shows...and it blends well with the rest of the wood in the room. And the best part is, I got to keep the ball feet! That is until I get bored with it in two months, chop them off, and reupholster it the way I originally planned! :)
It's important to remember that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a luxury piece for your room. If you choose quality pieces (even if they are from the thrist store) and put a little sweat equity into them, they can become a beautiful addition to the room. Had I purchased a table like this brand new from somewhere like Restoration Hardware (not that I don't LOVE RH), I would be out close to $2k. But this project cost less than a pair of shoes...hmmm...shoes....not a bad idea.
Now if only I had THIS underneat it....

~Katie


















And an upclose shot of the pretty details:
































No comments:

Post a Comment